North Side Fix I-270, US 23 (North High Street) and SR 315
This project will make the I-270/US23 north side interchange safer by increasing capacity and improving traffic flow. Additional improvemnts have been added to the project including work on the SR 315/I-270 interchange.
1. Reconfigure two of the ramps at the interchange of I-270 and US 23 (North High street) Two of the loop ramps, the ramp from I-270 E to US 23 N and the ramp from I270 W to US 23 S, will be reconfigured. ODOT will also add traffic signals at each of the new ramps to allow for better flow of traffic.
2. Widen US 23 ODOT will widen US 23 from Northwoods Boulevard to Lazelle Road from two lanes to three lanes in each direction. ODOT will also build an additional lane on US 23 southbound from I-270 to Northwoods Boulevard.
3. Construct two northbound express lanes on US 23 ODOT will build two lanes under the surface roads that will carry through traffic. The “trench,” as we call it, will begin just north of I-270 and end south of Northwoods Boulevard North. If you are driving in the “trench” will not be able to access Campus View Boulevard and Flint Road.
4. High Street over I-270 A new, decorative fence with the name “Worthington” on it will be built along the US 23 bridge over I-270. Pillars with brick pattern and coloring and limestone caps will be featured on both sides of the bridge, matching walls will be built adjacent to the ramps at the interchange.
Click the link below to see video animation to help drivers travel safely through the trench.
While opening the trench and other access points is a major milestone, there is still much to finish on the project.
The speed limit is reduced to 55 mph on I-270 between US 23 and SR 315 as major construction to build new ramps and bridges is ongoing. Motorists should be aware of new ramp configurations:
- Drivers coming from US 23 south to I-270 west will be on the ramp for a mile and pass over SR 315 before using the temporary ramp to merge onto I-270 west.
- I-270 west traffic exiting at SR 315 will exit sooner – merge into the right lane for SR 315 north, stay in left lane on the ramp for SR 315 south.
- Finally, traffic coming from SR 315 north to I-270 should stay in the left lane on the ramp. Drivers will go a mile on the ramp and travel under US 23 before merging onto I-270 east.
Completion: June 2017
For more information, see to the project website at www.270-23.com. (ODOT)
Hard Road Widening
Hard Road will be reconstructed and widened between Sawmill Road and Smoky Row Road beginning Monday, June 29, weather permitting. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction during construction.
The project widens 1.2 miles of Hard Road from two lanes to five lanes between Sawmill Road and Smoky Row Road. In addition, the project will add:
- Curbs and sidewalks on both sides of Hard Road where none currently exist
- Bike lanes on both sides of Hard Road where none currently exist
- A traffic signal at the intersection of Hard Road and Foxboro Lane at the Northwest Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Improvements to the intersection of Hard Road and Sawmill Road
- New street lights
- New storm sewers
- New water lines
The project will increase safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists, and will accommodate residential and business growth in the area.
Watch for crews and equipment and expect brief lane closures as final project work is performed in 2017.
For additional details about the project, visit http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=80425
Hamilton Road Widening
A widening and improvement project on Hamilton Road between Rocky Fork Creek (north of Havens Corners Road) and East Johnstown Road (US 62) starts Monday, June 22.
In the first phase of the project, motorists and cyclists should be alert for lane restrictions and crews and equipment at work. Expect some flagging operations on Hamilton Road with one lane of two-way traffic maintained by flaggers. Flagging operations will be limited to the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
The Franklin County/Gahanna project will widen parts of Hamilton Road and add new turn lanes in the project area. Also included are a bridge replacement, new multi-use paths, sidewalks, pedestrian safety improvements, street lighting and new roundabout intersections at Clark State Road and at the Northeast School. Completion, fall 2017.
For more information see the project flyer.
(Franklin County Engineer/Gahanna)
InterCHANGE 270/33 Project
Construction at the I-270 and U.S. 33/S.R. 161 interchange in Dublin began in Spring 2015.
This project includes:
- New ramp configurations
- Eliminating the 4 major internal weaves and merges which improves safety
- Adding capacity with additional lanes on I-270 and on U.S. 33/S.R. 161
- Improving traffic flow
The ramp and road closures in place in 2015 are now open. Motorists and cyclists should be alert for crews and equipment at work when driving through the interchange. Work will continue on the project through Fall 2017.
North Side Mega Fix Update, Speed Limit Reduction
A new reduced work-zone speed limit is posted and in force for the North Side Mega-Fix Project. The new speed limit in effect on I-270 and S.R. 315 at and near the I-270/S.R. 315 interchange will be 55 mph. Please be alert for reduced speed limit signs in this and all work-zones. 12 new signs are in place designating the new speed limit.
West 3rd Avenue Widening near Railroad between Edgehill Road and Columbus Fire Station #25 (W. Third)
Watch for workers, equipment and flagging operations on West 3rd Avenue between Edgehill Road and Columbus Fire Station #25 as crews begin work on a widening, reconstruction and pedestrian path project. Motorists may wish to consider W. 5th Avenue and Goodale Blvd. as alternate routes during this work .
The project will facilitate traffic flow, improve safety and provide pedestrian and bicyclist accommodations with the following improvements:
- Widening and reconstructing the roadway
- Constructing a new two-span railroad bridge
- Building curbs, Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant curb ramps (ADA), sidewalks and a shared-use path
- Upgrading street lights, signs and underground cables for traffic signals
- Planting street trees and landscaping
- Installation of new traffic signals at:
- Edgehill Road and W. 3rd Avenue
- Edgehill Road and W. 5th Avenue
The work is expected to be completed in autumn 2017, weather permitting.
Please drive with extra caution through this and all road-construction work-zones. More information on this project is available at: http://www.columbus.gov/publicservice/streets/project-information/3rd-Avenue-between-Edgehill-Road-and-fire-station/
(Columbus Public Service)
Hague Avenue Project Reaches Milestone
The Columbus Hague Avenue Improvements Project is expected to reach a milestone tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 8. Weather permitting, crews will switch traffic to the newly-constructed west half of the roadway and will begin work on the east half of the road. After the switch is complete, probably by Friday, Dec. 9, on-street parking will again be available on the west side of S. Hague Avenue. S. Hague Avenue will continue to be limited to southbound-only traffic between W. Broad Street and Sullivant Avenue until crews complete the project in mid-2017, weather permitting. For more information about the project, visit http://www.columbus.gov/publicservice/streets/project-information/Hague-Avenue-improvements/. (City of Columbus)
Night and Overnight Lane Restriction Southbound I-71 at Grove City
Southbound I-71 between Stringtown Road and SR 665 will be reduced to one lane weeknights, from 8 p.m. nightly to 6 a.m. each following morning, for the installation of median cable barriers, weather permitting. Starts: Jan. 2. Completion: Feb. 25. (ODOT)
COTA Transit System Re-Design
Significant changes, including the renumbering and adjustment of many routes will be made by COTA on May 1, 2017, as part of the Transit System Redesign. The goal of the redesign is to make central Ohio’s bus system easier to use, more frequent, and more direct. For details, including links for route details and a contact form, visit http://www.cota.com/tsr (COTA)
SR 315 Closure near SR 750 (Powell Road) for Stabilization Wall Construction Begins Monday, Jan. 23
SR 315 Closure near SR 750 (Powell Road) for Stabilization Wall Construction Begins Monday, Jan. 23
Be alert for closures of SR 315 (Olentangy River Road) for construction of stabilization walls beginning Monday, Jan. 23, as follows, weather permitting:
MONDAY, JAN. 23, 5 A.M.:
- SR 315 will be closed to through traffic south of SR 750, between Jewett Road and SR 750, for three weeks, weather permitting, for tree clearing and utility relocation.
- SR 750 east to US 23 (Columbus Pike), south to I-270 and back west to SR 315, or the reverse.
- Watch for crews at work around-the-clock. Chippers, chainsaws, generators and lights will be used for this work.
- Expected completion: Tuesday, February 14.
MONDAY, JAN. 30, 5 A.M.:
- SR 315 north of SR 750, between SR 750 and Retreat Lane, will be closed to through traffic for 3 ½ months for construction of the stabilization walls.
- SR 750, east to US 23, north to SR 315 or the reverse.
- Wall construction will occur during daytime hours only.
- Expected completion: Monday, May 8, weather permitting.
SR 750 itself will remain open to traffic during this work. The project will stabilize the slope that supports SR 315 in the area.
For more information see: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/projects/315Slope/Pages/default.aspx
Smothers Road to Close for Bridge Replacement
Smothers Road is scheduled to close over the Hoover Reservoir (East of Sunbury Road) beginning Monday, Feb. 13 for bridge replacement.
The posted detour:
- Schott Road south to Walnut Street, west to Cubbage Road, south to Central College Road, west to Sunbury Road, and north to Smothers Road.
- Or the reverse
Crews expect the bridge to reopen by July, weather permitting.
(Franklin County Engineer)
For more details see: http://bit.ly/ptwsmothersflier
2017 Glove Box Guide Construction Overview
Paving the Way’s Glove Box Guide, an overview of Central Ohio’s road-construction projects planned for 2017, is now available on the Paving the Way website. The Guide includes a map of planned projects and information on work-zone safety, sharing the ride and other resources to help Central Ohio motorists, cyclists and pedestrians get to their destinations safely.
View or download the guide at: http://bit.ly/ptwgbg17
Indianola Avenue Bridge over the Glen Echo Ravine Rehabilitation
The Indianola Avenue (US Route 23) bridge over the Glen Echo Ravine will close for six months beginning early Monday morning, April 10. Crews will be rehabilitating the existing arch and bridge.
- Detour for motorists and cyclists: E. Arcadia Avenue to N. High Street to E. Weber Road or the reverse.
- Pedestrian detour: Pedestrians will not be able to cross the bridge. The detour for pedestrians only is E. Arcadia Avenue to Calumet Street to Olentangy Street or the reverse. Please note, the stairs to the park on the northeast side of the bridge will not be accessible.
Access to the bridge and the ravine below will be strictly prohibited during construction. There will be a chain link fence around the entire bridge. Work vehicles will access the arch using the dirt road from Glen Echo Drive, east of the bridge.
The bridge is expected to reopen by October 7, 2017, weather permitting.
Note: Taking the posted detour is important, the nearby side streets are not equipped to handle a large amout of through-traffic safely.
For more information on the project see the project flier at http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/current-construction-and-maintenance/Documents/Glen%20Echo%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. (ODOT)
Repairs at I-270 and W. Broad Street Scheduled for Two More Weekends in April
Repairs are scheduled for the next two weekends on a damaged beam on the I-270 bridge over W. Broad Street (US 40). A truck hit the bridge several months ago and damaged one of the beams. Please drive with extra caution and watch signs and lane markings carefully during this work.
The following restrictions will be in place for the repair work, weather permitting:
Friday, April 21
- 6 p.m. Eastbound W. Broad Street will be closed at I-270 (Westbound lanes will remain open to traffic)
- The detour is W. Broad St. to I-270 south to Georgesville Rd. to I-270 north to E. Broad Street.
Monday, April 24:
- 5 a.m. W. Broad St. will be back open to two-way traffic with no lane restrictions.
Saturday, April 29
- 7 a.m.,The ramp from eastbound W. Broad St. to I-270 North will close.
- The detour is W. Broad St. to I-270 south to Georgesville Rd. back to I-270 North
Sunday April 30
- 5 p.m. The ramp opens in its original configuration.
Parsons Avenue Street Rehabilitation Project Starts Monday
Parsons Avenue will be reduced to southbound-only traffic between E. Broad Street and Franklin Avenue, beginning Monday, April 24, for a street rehabilitation project, weather permitting. The project includes pavement reconstruction; installation of curb bumpouts; sidewalk widening; signal upgrades and other improvements. The project is scheduled to be complete by Spring 2018.
The detour for northbound traffic is E. Town Street, west to S. Washington Avenue, north to E. Broad Street and east, back to Parsons Avenue.
For more details see the Project Fact Sheet at http://bit.ly/parsonsbroad
(Columbus Public Service)