This page displays projects of all impact levels and in all regions by default. To view projects only in certain regions or impact levels, please select the region to the right, and/or the impact level below.
To search for a specific project or event, use the search function at the top right.
Neighborhood and Local Impact
Night & Overnight Impact
What are these?
Show Only Region:
2017 Glove Box Guide Construction Overview
Paving the Way’s Glove Box Guide, an overview of Central Ohio’s road-construction projects planned for 2017, is now available on the Paving the Way website. The Guide includes a map of planned projects and information on work-zone safety, sharing the ride and other resources to help Central Ohio motorists, cyclists and pedestrians get to their destinations safely.
View or download the guide at: http://bit.ly/ptwgbg17
Hard Road Widening
Hard Road will be reconstructed and widened between Sawmill Road and Smoky Row Road beginning Monday, June 29, weather permitting. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction during construction.
The project widens 1.2 miles of Hard Road from two lanes to five lanes between Sawmill Road and Smoky Row Road. In addition, the project will add:
- Curbs and sidewalks on both sides of Hard Road where none currently exist
- Bike lanes on both sides of Hard Road where none currently exist
- A traffic signal at the intersection of Hard Road and Foxboro Lane at the Northwest Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Improvements to the intersection of Hard Road and Sawmill Road
- New street lights
- New storm sewers
- New water lines
The project will increase safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists, and will accommodate residential and business growth in the area.
Watch for crews and equipment and expect brief lane closures as final project work is performed in 2017.
For additional details about the project, visit http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=80425
North Side Mega Fix Update, Speed Limit Reduction
A new reduced work-zone speed limit is posted and in force for the North Side Mega-Fix Project. The new speed limit in effect on I-270 and S.R. 315 at and near the I-270/S.R. 315 interchange will be 55 mph. Please be alert for reduced speed limit signs in this and all work-zones. 12 new signs are in place designating the new speed limit.
Repairs at I-270 and W. Broad Street Scheduled for Two More Weekends in April
Repairs are scheduled for the next two weekends on a damaged beam on the I-270 bridge over W. Broad Street (US 40). A truck hit the bridge several months ago and damaged one of the beams. Please drive with extra caution and watch signs and lane markings carefully during this work.
The following restrictions will be in place for the repair work, weather permitting:
Friday, April 21
- 6 p.m. Eastbound W. Broad Street will be closed at I-270 (Westbound lanes will remain open to traffic)
- The detour is W. Broad St. to I-270 south to Georgesville Rd. to I-270 north to E. Broad Street.
Monday, April 24:
- 5 a.m. W. Broad St. will be back open to two-way traffic with no lane restrictions.
Saturday, April 29
- 7 a.m.,The ramp from eastbound W. Broad St. to I-270 North will close.
- The detour is W. Broad St. to I-270 south to Georgesville Rd. back to I-270 North
Sunday April 30
- 5 p.m. The ramp opens in its original configuration.
North Side Fix I-270, US 23 (North High Street) and SR 315
This project will make the I-270/US23 north side interchange safer by increasing capacity and improving traffic flow. Additional improvemnts have been added to the project including work on the SR 315/I-270 interchange.
1. Reconfigure two of the ramps at the interchange of I-270 and US 23 (North High street) Two of the loop ramps, the ramp from I-270 E to US 23 N and the ramp from I270 W to US 23 S, will be reconfigured. ODOT will also add traffic signals at each of the new ramps to allow for better flow of traffic.
2. Widen US 23 ODOT will widen US 23 from Northwoods Boulevard to Lazelle Road from two lanes to three lanes in each direction. ODOT will also build an additional lane on US 23 southbound from I-270 to Northwoods Boulevard.
3. Construct two northbound express lanes on US 23 ODOT will build two lanes under the surface roads that will carry through traffic. The “trench,” as we call it, will begin just north of I-270 and end south of Northwoods Boulevard North. If you are driving in the “trench” will not be able to access Campus View Boulevard and Flint Road.
4. High Street over I-270 A new, decorative fence with the name “Worthington” on it will be built along the US 23 bridge over I-270. Pillars with brick pattern and coloring and limestone caps will be featured on both sides of the bridge, matching walls will be built adjacent to the ramps at the interchange.
Click the link below to see video animation to help drivers travel safely through the trench.
While opening the trench and other access points is a major milestone, there is still much to finish on the project.
The speed limit is reduced to 55 mph on I-270 between US 23 and SR 315 as major construction to build new ramps and bridges is ongoing. Motorists should be aware of new ramp configurations:
- Drivers coming from US 23 south to I-270 west will be on the ramp for a mile and pass over SR 315 before using the temporary ramp to merge onto I-270 west.
- I-270 west traffic exiting at SR 315 will exit sooner – merge into the right lane for SR 315 north, stay in left lane on the ramp for SR 315 south.
- Finally, traffic coming from SR 315 north to I-270 should stay in the left lane on the ramp. Drivers will go a mile on the ramp and travel under US 23 before merging onto I-270 east.
Completion: June 2017
For more information, see to the project website at www.270-23.com. (ODOT)
Hamilton Road Widening
A widening and improvement project on Hamilton Road between Rocky Fork Creek (north of Havens Corners Road) and East Johnstown Road (US 62) starts Monday, June 22.
In the first phase of the project, motorists and cyclists should be alert for lane restrictions and crews and equipment at work. Expect some flagging operations on Hamilton Road with one lane of two-way traffic maintained by flaggers. Flagging operations will be limited to the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
The Franklin County/Gahanna project will widen parts of Hamilton Road and add new turn lanes in the project area. Also included are a bridge replacement, new multi-use paths, sidewalks, pedestrian safety improvements, street lighting and new roundabout intersections at Clark State Road and at the Northeast School. Completion, fall 2017.
For more information see the project flyer.
(Franklin County Engineer/Gahanna)
COTA Transit System Re-Design
Significant changes, including the renumbering and adjustment of many routes will be made by COTA on May 1, 2017, as part of the Transit System Redesign. The goal of the redesign is to make central Ohio’s bus system easier to use, more frequent, and more direct. For details, including links for route details and a contact form, visit http://www.cota.com/tsr (COTA)
South Old State Road Improvements
Crews have begun work this week on the South Old State Road Project. The roadway will be reconstructed and widened between Polaris Parkway and Orange Road. Watch for equipment and crews at work in this area. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction. Some closures of side streets are expected.
Motorists should plan for brief delays on South Old State Road and may wish to consider US 23 or Worthington Road via Polaris Parkway as alternate routes. The project includes new sidewalks and a shared-use path and is scheduled to be completed in the fall of 2018. For more information on this and other Delaware County projects, visit www.co.delaware.oh.us/engineer (Delaware County/Columbus)
Columbus March for Science Saturday
The Columbus March for Science will be held on Saturday, April 22. The marchers will stage at the Statehouse at 10 a.m. and step off at 11 a.m. to follow the route below:
- S. High Street from E. Broad to E. Rich Street
- E. Rich Street to the Columbus Commons
Although a large number of participants are expected, the current plan is for the participants to remain on sidewalks only. Please watch for extra pedestrian traffic in this area through about 2 p.m. Participants are encouraged to carpool or use COTA. (Columbus)
Parsons Avenue Street Rehabilitation Project Starts Monday
Parsons Avenue will be reduced to southbound-only traffic between E. Broad Street and Franklin Avenue, beginning Monday, April 24, for a street rehabilitation project, weather permitting. The project includes pavement reconstruction; installation of curb bumpouts; sidewalk widening; signal upgrades and other improvements. The project is scheduled to be complete by Spring 2018.
The detour for northbound traffic is E. Town Street, west to S. Washington Avenue, north to E. Broad Street and east, back to Parsons Avenue.
For more details see the Project Fact Sheet at http://bit.ly/parsonsbroad
(Columbus Public Service)
InterCHANGE 270/33 Project
Construction at the I-270 and U.S. 33/S.R. 161 interchange in Dublin began in Spring 2015.
This project includes:
- New ramp configurations
- Eliminating the 4 major internal weaves and merges which improves safety
- Adding capacity with additional lanes on I-270 and on U.S. 33/S.R. 161
- Improving traffic flow
The ramp and road closures in place in 2015 are now open. Motorists and cyclists should be alert for crews and equipment at work when driving through the interchange. Work will continue on the project through Fall 2017.
Gender Road at Refugee Road Intersection Improvements
Watch for various lane restrictions at and near the intersection of Refugee and Gender roads beginning Monday, April 11. Crews will be working on an intersection improvement project.
- Widening and resurfacing Gender and Refugee roads
- Adding/improving bike lanes, a shared-use path, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, ADA-compliant curb ramps, street lighting, storm water system and landscaping
- Upgrading traffic signals, signage and pedestrian countdown timers and push-button signals at crosswalks
Traffic will be maintained on Gender and Refugee roads during the work. The project is expected to be complete by Spring 2017, weather permitting. (Columbus)
Scioto Peninsula/West Broad Street Improvements
Expect lane restrictions and watch for crews on West Broad Street between Marconi Boulevard and McDowell Street as the Scioto Peninsula roadway improvements project continue this year.. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction during the work. Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians may wish to consider W. Rich Street, W. Town Street, W. Long Street or W. Spring Street as alternates, especially during rush hours.
Pedestrians especially, should be alert for sidewalk detours during construction and cross the street when directed to do so. Pedestrians, like motorists and bicyclists, are required by law to follow work-zone detour signs.
Project improvements include:
- Roadway reconstruction
- Storm water and water line upgrades
- Pedestrian safety improvements, including a crosswalk with a pedestrian hybrid beacon near COSI and the Veterans Memorial
- Green elements such as a bio-retention basins
- Streetscape improvements including a planted median and brickwork
- Bicycle lanes
- New 11-foot wide sidewalks
- Street trees and landscaping
- Traffic signal and lighting upgrades
UPDATE: Traffic is expected to switch to new lanes in December and two-way traffic with turn lanes will be maintained through the project completion in Spring 2017. For additional details on the project see: http://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=80007 (Columbus)
W. State Street Closure
W. State Street is closed between McDowell and Belle streets and Starling Street is closed between W. Broad and W. State streets for utility work as part of the Scioto Duct Bank project. The roads are expected to reopen by mid-May, weather permitting. (Columbus)
S. Hague Avenue Improvements Project
S. Hague Avenue continues to be reduced to southbound-only traffic between W. Broad Street and Sullivant Avenue for road reconstruction. In mid-December, traffic is expected to switch over to the newly constructed side. This will open up some parking spaces that had been restricted because of construction. Crews expect the project to be completed by mid-2017, weather permitting.
The project includes:
- Lowering and reconstructing the roadway down to its base, installing new full curbs to improve drainage, building new sidewalks, Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant curb ramps and driveway aprons and planting street trees
- Building bump-out curbs. Bump-outs help protect parked vehicles, reduce crosswalk length and calm traffic.
- Adding pavement markings and bicycle sharrows along Hague Avenue plus school-zone markings for West Broad Elementary School
- Updating water lines
- Upgrading storm sewers and curbs to improve drainage
- Upgrading traffic signals at Hague and W. Broad and at Hague and Sullivant with LED bulbs, pedestrian countdown timers and push-button signals at crosswalk signals.
- Installing permeable asphalt pavement in the parking lane, a green solution for storm-water management
Motorists can use Wilson Road as a northbound alternate.
More information on the project is available at the Columbus Department of Public Service Website at https://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=80030
W. Rich Street Closure
Beginning Friday morning, December 2, W. Rich Street will be closed to through traffic between S. High and S. Front Streets to accommodate construction of a building. The closure is expected to remain in place through April of 2017, weather permitting. (Columbus-Private)
John H. McConnell Boulevard Closure, Winter Park
John H. McConnell Boulevard between West Spring Street and New Public Lane closes today, Monday, Jan. 9, for the Winter Park Event through Sunday, March 12. Please be alert for extra pedestrian traffic in this area during the event which runs from Friday, February 3, through Sunday, February 26. For more information on the event, see http://bit.ly/cbjpark. (Columbus)
SR 315 Closure near SR 750 (Powell Road) for Stabilization Wall Construction Begins Monday, Jan. 23
SR 315 Closure near SR 750 (Powell Road) for Stabilization Wall Construction Begins Monday, Jan. 23
Be alert for closures of SR 315 (Olentangy River Road) for construction of stabilization walls beginning Monday, Jan. 23, as follows, weather permitting:
MONDAY, JAN. 23, 5 A.M.:
- SR 315 will be closed to through traffic south of SR 750, between Jewett Road and SR 750, for three weeks, weather permitting, for tree clearing and utility relocation.
- SR 750 east to US 23 (Columbus Pike), south to I-270 and back west to SR 315, or the reverse.
- Watch for crews at work around-the-clock. Chippers, chainsaws, generators and lights will be used for this work.
- Expected completion: Tuesday, February 14.
MONDAY, JAN. 30, 5 A.M.:
- SR 315 north of SR 750, between SR 750 and Retreat Lane, will be closed to through traffic for 3 ½ months for construction of the stabilization walls.
- SR 750, east to US 23, north to SR 315 or the reverse.
- Wall construction will occur during daytime hours only.
- Expected completion: Monday, May 8, weather permitting.
SR 750 itself will remain open to traffic during this work. The project will stabilize the slope that supports SR 315 in the area.
For more information see: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/projects/315Slope/Pages/default.aspx
Indianola Avenue Bridge over the Glen Echo Ravine Rehabilitation
The Indianola Avenue (US Route 23) bridge over the Glen Echo Ravine will close for six months beginning early Monday morning, April 10. Crews will be rehabilitating the existing arch and bridge.
- Detour for motorists and cyclists: E. Arcadia Avenue to N. High Street to E. Weber Road or the reverse.
- Pedestrian detour: Pedestrians will not be able to cross the bridge. The detour for pedestrians only is E. Arcadia Avenue to Calumet Street to Olentangy Street or the reverse. Please note, the stairs to the park on the northeast side of the bridge will not be accessible.
Access to the bridge and the ravine below will be strictly prohibited during construction. There will be a chain link fence around the entire bridge. Work vehicles will access the arch using the dirt road from Glen Echo Drive, east of the bridge.
The bridge is expected to reopen by October 7, 2017, weather permitting.
Note: Taking the posted detour is important, the nearby side streets are not equipped to handle a large amout of through-traffic safely.
For more information on the project see the project flier at http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/current-construction-and-maintenance/Documents/Glen%20Echo%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. (ODOT)
Night and Overnight Lane Restriction Southbound I-71 at Grove City
Southbound I-71 between Stringtown Road and SR 665 will be reduced to one lane weeknights, from 8 p.m. nightly to 6 a.m. each following morning, for the installation of median cable barriers, weather permitting. Starts: Jan. 2. Completion: Feb. 25. (ODOT)
Step Up For Stefanie’s Champions Walk/Run Saturday
The Step Up for Stefanie’s Champions Run and Walk is scheduled for Saturday April 22, at 9 a.m. The race begins and ends at the Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center at W. 3rd Avenue and Olentangy River Road. Watch for extra pedestrian traffic in the area near the center and along the route described below. Rolling closures will be in place along the route through about 11 a.m.
- Start at Spielman Center – Olentangy River Road at W. 3rd Ave
- W. 3rd Ave west to Yard Street – westbound in south lane
- Yard Street south to Burr Avenue
- Burr Ave west to C. Ray Buck Park
- Burr Ave to C. Ray Buck Park
- Circle park on trail
- Burr Ave east to Oxley Road
- Oxley Rd north to Northwest Blvd
- Northwest Blvd southeast to Burr Ave
- Burr Ave east back to Yard Street
- Yard Street north to W. 3rd Avenue
- W. 3rd Ave east back to the Spielman Center
Participants are encouraged to carpool or use COTA. For more information about the event, visit https://cancer.osu.edu/giving-back/fundraising-events/step-up-for-stefanies-champions
Intersection Closure: N. Hague Avenue and El Paso Drive
The intersection of N. Hague Avenue and El Paso Drive will be closed for a sanitary sewer project beginning on Monday, April 24, weather permitting.
- Hague Avenue:
- Fisher Road, west to Wilson Road, north to Trabue Road and east back to N. Hague Avenue or the reverse.
- El Paso Drive:
- Hague Avenue south to Fisher Road, west to Wilson Road, north to Brookside Boulevard, east to Plank Place and continue on to El Paso Drive or the reverse.
The closure is expected to remain in place for about 30 days. (Franklin County Engineer’s Office)
Crack Sealing Crews: Polaris Parkway and Renner Road
Crack sealing crews will be treating Polaris Parkway between I-71 and S. Old State Road and Renner Road between Hilliard Rome Road and Tanglewood Park Blvd on Monday and Tuesday, April 24 and 25, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. This is a moving operation. At least one lane in each direction will be maintained. Please drive with extra caution near the crews and plan for short delays.
Crack sealing extends the life of pavement and helps maintain a smooth driving surface.
Bexley East Broad Street Improvements Project
Work on Bexley’s East Broad Street Improvements project begins today, Monday, June 13. Expect lane restrictions on East Broad Street between Nelson Road and Gould Road. Two-way traffic will be maintained. The project includes construction of a new curb and gutter, resurfacing, landscaping and the construction of planted medians. Completion: Late November, weather permitting. (Bexley)
Brock Road Closure Union County
Beginning at 7 a.m., on Monday, Feb. 20, Brock Road (CR 16 in Union County) will be closed to through traffic between Hyland-Croy Road and Industrial Parkway for bridge work.
South (southeast) on Industrial Parkway, east on Mitchell-DeWitt Rd, east/northeast on McKitrick Rd., north on Hyland-Croy Road, back to Brock Road or the reverse.
The bridge will get a new deck and walls. Completion: Mid-to late May, weather permitting.
On the map: https://goo.gl/maps/udf31zn3NcL2
Lazelle Road Flagging
Watch for crews at work and some flagging operations at the intersection of Lazelle Road and S. Old State Road this week as crews move utilities in preparation for the Lazelle Road Improvements project. In the coming weeks, crews will be working on the side of the road and flagging some days as needed on Lazelle Road between N. High Street (US 23) and Seattle Avenue (east of Sancus Blvd.) Hours of work will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. The work is expected to be complete by late July, weather permitting. (Columbus)
Short North Gallery Hop
The Short North Gallery Hop is held the first Saturday of each month. The Gallery Hop brings thousands of pedestrians to North High Street between I-670 and West 7th Avenue and on nearby streets. The event hours are from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Motorists are encouraged to be alert for heavy pedestrian and bicycle traffic before, during and after the official hours on Gallery Hop nights. For additional information, please see: http://shortnorth.org/events/ (Columbus)
Restrictions for Building Construction: West Long Street, North Front Street Area
Various lane and parking restrictions will be in effect at and near the intersection of West Long Street and North Front Street for building construction, beginning Tuesday, September 8, weather permitting.
- The west curb lane of North Front Street will be closed between West Gay Street and West Lafayette Street.
- Curb lane closures will be in place on the north and south sides of West Long Street between North Ludlow Street and North Front Street.
- The bicycle lane on the south side of West Long Street between North Ludlow Street and North Front Street will be closed.
- Motorists are asked to use extra caution and be alert for bicyclists on the roadway on West Long Street during this work.
- A sidewalk detour will be in place on West Long Street between North Ludlow Street and North Front Street.
- North Ludlow Street will be closed to through traffic between West Long Street and West Lafayette Street. North Ludlow Street between West Lafayette Street and West Spring Street will be limited to northbound-only traffic.
- West Lafayette Street will limited to westbound-only traffic between North Ludlow Street and North Front Street.
The restrictions on the north side of West Long Street and north of West Long Street are expected to remain in effect through summer 2017, weather permitting. The restrictions on the south side of West Long Street and south of West Long Street are expected to remain in effect through fall 2017, weather permitting. (Columbus)
US 42 Lane Restrictions at US 33
Beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 13, US 42 will be reduced to one lane in each direction at US 33, weather permitting. This work is for a bridge project that includes median removal, bridge wall sealing and bearing replacements. Completion: April 24. (ODOT)
Clark State Road Detoured
Clark State Road will be closed to through traffic between Havens Road and Mann Road beginning Monday, April 10 for roadway, shoulder and drainage work, weather permitting.
The posted detour route for westbound motorists will follow Reynoldsburg-New Albany Road, south to Havens Corners Road, west to Hamilton Road, north to Clark State Road. Eastbound motorists will follow the detour in the opposite direction.
The roadway is expected to be open by about Saturday, April 22, weather permitting. (Franklin County Engineer’s Office)
SR 31, SR 347 Restrictions Marysville/Raymond Area
Beginning tomorrow, Monday, April 3, two different sections of SR 31 and a section of SR 347 will be reduced to one lane of two-way traffic maintained by flaggers weekdays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Crews will be making various pavement and bridge repairs and resurfacing, weather permitting.
SR 31 will be reduced to one lane between the Marysville City limits and SR 347 and between SR 739 and the Union/Hardin County line. SR 347 will be reduced to one lane between Raymond and SR 739. Expected Completion: June 30. (ODOT)
Various Lane Restrictions for Downtown Utility Work
Utility crews continue to be busy in the Downtown Columbus area. Expect various lane closures with at least one lane of through traffic maintained. Please be alert for equipment and crews at work between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. in various locations.
Pearl Street, Eden Alley and Short North Public Parking Lot Improvements
Work on the Pearl Street, Eden Alley and Short North Public Parking Lot Improvements project begins on Monday, June 6, weather permitting. The work will require a closure of N. Pearl Street, south of E. Russell Street and parking restrictions beginning on Monday, June 6. When work on N. Pearl Street is complete, N. Pearl Street will reopen and the metered city parking lot will close until the end of the project when it will reopen as a larger metered lot. Eden Alley between E. Russell Street and N. Pearl Street will have restrictions in place during parking lot construction and resurfacing operations.
The project includes street reconstruction, streetscaping improvements, drainage improvements, upgraded pedestrian facilities and expands the city-owned parking lot at this location from 11 spaces to 25.
The work is expected to be complete by Sping 2017, weather permitting. For more information about the project, see http://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=2147486605. (Columbus)
S. State Street/Schrock Road Improvements Update
Expect various lane restrictions on S. State Street (S.R. 3) between King Arthur Blvd. and south of Lee Terrace and on Schrock Road between Brooksedge Blvd and S. Otterbein Avenue. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction. Expect some brief nighttime detours. The project includes road improvements, sidewalk upgrades, bicycle accommodations, landscaping; and lighting and signal improvements. Work is expected to be substantially complete by December 2016 with some final resurfacing work expected in the spring of 2017. (Westerville)
Joyce Avenue Phase 3
Joyce Avenue is reduced to northbound only through traffic between E. 17th Avenue and E. Hudson Street for the Joyce Avenue Phase 3 improvements project.
- E. Hudson Street west to Cleveland Avenue, south to E. 17th Avenue, and west back to Joyce Avenue
- E. Hudson Street, east to Parkwood Avenue, south to Mock Road, east to Woodland Avenue, south to E. 17th Avenue, and east back to Joyce Avenue .
Two-way local access is available from the north, north of Kenmore Road and from the south, south of Maloney Park.
Estimated project completion: Autumn 2017.
For more information see the project fact sheet.
Bridge Replacement Project at SR 104
S. High Street/SR 104 Update
South High Street (US 23) is reduced to two lanes southbound and one lane northbound on the bridge over SR 104. Additionally, the ramp from SR 104 east to S. High Street is reduced to one lane and there will be no turns permitted from eastbound SR 104 to northbound S. High Street. The detour is SR 104 east to Groveport Road to SR 104 west to northbound S. High St. Expected completion: June 15. (ODOT)
On Friday January 8, 2016, the U.S. 23 bridge was struck by a truck traveling on SR 104 that had part of its frame raised. The impact was so great that a bridge beam was partially sheared off.
That weekend, a contractor removed the damaged bridge beam and about 12 feet of pavement on U.S. 23 north that was once supported by the bridge beam. Both directions on SR 104 and U.S. 23 reopened by Monday, January 11.
Originally, ODOT had a project to replace the beam that was damaged because it had been hit prior to the January crash. The project also planned to replace the bridge deck, or driving surface.
Immediately following the crash, ODOT started working on new plans for the project that now includes replacing all 11 steel beams in addition to the bridge deck. Because it takes six months to get steel beams, ODOT purchased the steel as soon as the new plans were completed.
To minimize the impact to traffic, ODOT did not begin the project until the steel beams were ready.
US 62 Mid-Day Flagging, Southwest Side
US 62, between I-71 and SR 665, is reduced to one lane of two-way traffic, maintained by flaggers from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily for drainage work, weather permitting.
Completion: January 31, 2017.
West 3rd Avenue Widening near Railroad between Edgehill Road and Columbus Fire Station #25 (W. Third)
Watch for workers, equipment and flagging operations on West 3rd Avenue between Edgehill Road and Columbus Fire Station #25 as crews begin work on a widening, reconstruction and pedestrian path project. Motorists may wish to consider W. 5th Avenue and Goodale Blvd. as alternate routes during this work .
The project will facilitate traffic flow, improve safety and provide pedestrian and bicyclist accommodations with the following improvements:
- Widening and reconstructing the roadway
- Constructing a new two-span railroad bridge
- Building curbs, Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant curb ramps (ADA), sidewalks and a shared-use path
- Upgrading street lights, signs and underground cables for traffic signals
- Planting street trees and landscaping
- Installation of new traffic signals at:
- Edgehill Road and W. 3rd Avenue
- Edgehill Road and W. 5th Avenue
The work is expected to be completed in autumn 2017, weather permitting.
Please drive with extra caution through this and all road-construction work-zones. More information on this project is available at: http://www.columbus.gov/publicservice/streets/project-information/3rd-Avenue-between-Edgehill-Road-and-fire-station/
(Columbus Public Service)
Hague Avenue Project Reaches Milestone
The Columbus Hague Avenue Improvements Project is expected to reach a milestone tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 8. Weather permitting, crews will switch traffic to the newly-constructed west half of the roadway and will begin work on the east half of the road. After the switch is complete, probably by Friday, Dec. 9, on-street parking will again be available on the west side of S. Hague Avenue. S. Hague Avenue will continue to be limited to southbound-only traffic between W. Broad Street and Sullivant Avenue until crews complete the project in mid-2017, weather permitting. For more information about the project, visit http://www.columbus.gov/publicservice/streets/project-information/Hague-Avenue-improvements/. (City of Columbus)
Smothers Road to Close for Bridge Replacement
Smothers Road is scheduled to close over the Hoover Reservoir (East of Sunbury Road) beginning Monday, Feb. 13 for bridge replacement.
The posted detour:
- Schott Road south to Walnut Street, west to Cubbage Road, south to Central College Road, west to Sunbury Road, and north to Smothers Road.
- Or the reverse
Crews expect the bridge to reopen by July, weather permitting.
(Franklin County Engineer)
For more details see: http://bit.ly/ptwsmothersflier
Overnight Ramp Closures West Side
The following ramps will close from 11 p.m. Monday night, April 3, through 5 a.m., Tuesday morning, April 4, as well as Tuesday night, April 4 and overnight during the same hours, for bridge work, weather permitting:
- Ramp from I-270 South to I-70 East
- Detour: I-270 south to I-70 west to Hilliard Rome Road to I-70 East.
- Ramp from I-70 West to I-270 South
- Detour: I-70 west to Hilliard Rome Road to I-70 east to I-270 South.
SR 104 Flagging Chillicothe Area
SR 104 will be reduced to one lane of two-way traffic maintained by flaggers between Yellowbud Road and SR 316 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily for bridge and asphalt work. Be alert for an automated flagging system using traditional red, yellow and green lights. Completion: June 30. (ODOT)
Lane and ramp closures Friday Night, I-71 at SR 665, Grove City
I-71 south will be reduced to one lane and the following ramps will be closed binning at 8 p.m., Friday evening, April 14, weather permitting:
- I-71 South to SR 665
- Detour is I-71 south to US 62 west to I-71 North.
- SR 665 East to I-71 South
- Detour is I-71 north to I-270 west to flip around to I-71 South.
- SR 665 West to I-71 South
- Detour is SR 665 west to US 62 west to I-71 South
By 7 a.m. Saturday, all lanes and ramps will be open but there will be a new traffic pattern on the ramps. Traffic will be moved over onto the new temporary pavement so the contractor can begin work on the other half of the ramps. (ODOT)
Restrictions near Stringtown Road and Buckeye Parkway, Grove City.
Watch for crews at work and single lane closures near the intersection of Stringtown Road and Buckeye Parkway beginning this week. This work is in advance of the roadway improvements work planned for Stringtown Road between Buckeye Parkway and SR 104 which is expected to be in full swing by summer. (Grove City)
SR 104 Detoured via Exit/Entry Ramps Wednesday Night and Overnight
Westbound SR 104 will be detoured at S. High Street (US 23) from 8 p.m. Wednesday night, April 12, to 5 a.m. Thursday morning, April 13, for bridge work, weather permitting. SR 104 west traffic will be maintained by using the ramps at US 23. (ODOT)
I-270 Morning and mid-Day Lane Restrictions, Southeast Side
I-270 will be reduced to two lanes in each direction between US 33 and Alum Creek Drive on Thursday, April 13 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. for shoulder work, weather permitting. (ODOT)
Southbound S. High Street Lane Restrictions at SR 104
Southbound S. High Street (US 23) will be reduced to one lane near SR 104 on Thursday, April 13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., for bridge work, weather permitting. (ODOT).
Watch for Crews at Work, 3rd and 4th Streets Downtown Mid-Day Friday
Several intersections along US 23 (3rd & 4th streets) Downtown will be reduced to two lanes between I-70 and I-670 Friday, April 14, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for work on traffic signals. Only one intersection at a time will be affected. Traffic will be maintained by law enforcement officers. (ODOT)
Evening and Overnight Lane and Ramp Closures near I-670 and I-270 (East Side)
Watch for lane and ramp closures Monday, April 17, evening and overnight for portable barrier wall placement near I-670 and I-270 (on the east side) as follows, weather permitting:
- 7 p.m.: The ramp from I-670 East to I-270 South will be reduced to one lane.
- 8 p.m.: I-270 South will be reduced to two lanes between Agler Road and Hamilton Road.
- 8 p.m. – 10 p.m.: The ramp from US 62 West to I-270 South will close.
- Detour: US 62 west to I-670 west to E. 5th Avenue to I-670 east to I-270 South.
- 5 a.m. Tuesday morning, April 18: All lanes and ramps will open.
S.R. 104 Evening and Overnight Restrictions
SR 104 through traffic will be maintained using the on and off ramps at S. High Street (US 23) from 8 p.m. tonight, Thursday April 20, through 5 a.m. tomorrow morning, Friday, April 21, for bridge work, weather permitting. Please watch signs carefully as you travel through this temporary configuration. (ODOT)
Night and Overnight Ramp Closure, SR 104 at S. High Street
The ramp from northbound S. High Street (US 23) to SR 104 South will be closed from 9 p.m. nightly to 5 a.m. each following morning for bridge work, beginning tonight, Monday, April 17, weather permitting. The detour will be US 23 north to Greenlawn Avenue west to I-71 south to SR 104 South. US 23 south will be reduced to one lane near SR 104. Completion: April 20. (ODOT)
Mid-Day Restrictions S. High Street at I-270
S. High Street (US 23) will be reduced to one lane in each direction at I-270 on Tuesday, April 18, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., for guardrail installation, weather permitting. (ODOT)
Automated Flagging Operations SR 31 Mansfield
Beginning at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, April 18, SR 31 will be reduced to one lane of traffic at Lingrell Road for pavement repairs. One lane of two-way traffic will be maintained with temporary traffic signals. Completion: April 21 at 7 p.m.
Madison County Paving I-70 West
Beginning at 9 p.m., Monday, April 17, I-70 West will be reduced to one lane between SR 56 and SR 54 for pavement resurfacing. At 5 a.m., Tuesday, April 18, I-70 West will be reduced to two lanes in this area through noon, weather permitting. The ramp from SR 56 to I-70 West will be closed during this work. The detour will be SR 56 to US 40 west to I-70. Detours will be posted on portable message boards. (ODOT)
Ramp Restrictions North Side Fix
The ramp from SR 315 North to I-270 East will be closed from 11 p.m. nightly to 5 a.m. each following morning, for bridge work, weather permitting. The detour is SR 315 north to I-270 west to Sawmill Road to I-270 East. Completion: April 22 (ODOT)
The ramp from SR 315 North to I-270 East will be reduced to one lane on Tuesday, April 18, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for bridge work, weather permitting.
SR 315 South Pavement Work Hard Road to I-270
Southbound SR 315 will be reduced to one lane between Hard Road and I-270 for two weeks for pavement reconstruction, beginning this morning, Tuesday, April 18. Watch for crews at work and plan for delays. Crews will be working up to 24 hours a day. Completion: May 2 at 5 a.m., weather permitting.
I-270 Evening and Night Restrictions, Southeast Side
I-270 will be reduced to two lanes in each direction between Alum Creek Drive and US 33 from 7 p.m. Wednesday night, April 19 to 5 a.m., Thursday morning, April 20, for shoulder widening, weather permitting. (ODOT)
I-270 Late Night/Overnight Closure West Side
I-270 South will be closed at I-70 from 11 p.m., Thursday night, April 20, to 2 a.m. Friday morning, April 21, for bridge work, weather permitting. The detour will be I-270 south to I-70 west to Hilliard Rome Road to I-70 east to I-270 South.
Additionally, I-270 North will be closed at I-270 from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. Friday morning, April 21, for bridge work, weather permitting. The ramps from I-70 east to I-270 north and I-270 north to I-70 west will be closed during these hours. The detour for all will be I-270 north to I-70 east to Wilson Road to I-70 west to I-270 North. (ODOT)
Southbound I-71 Night and Overnight Restrictions
Southbound I-71 will be reduced to one lane between Stringtown Road and SR 665 from 8 p.m. Thursday evening April 20, to 6 a.m. Friday morning, April 21, for guardrail repair and signage work, weather permitting. (ODOT)
Parsons Avenue Lane Restrictions south of Frebis Avenue
Parsons Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Southwood Avenue and E. Markison Avenue for utility work, Tuesday through Friday, April 25 to 28, weather permitting. The restrictions will be in place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day for utility work. (Columbia Gas)
I-270 Night and Overnight Pavement Operations East Side
Expect lane closures on southbound I-270 (east side) for pavement milling, Friday night, April 21, and overnight as follows, weather permitting:
- 7 PM: I-270 south will be reduced to three lanes between Agler Road and Johnstown Road.
- 8 PM: I-270 south will be reduced to two lanes between I-670 and Hamilton Road.
- 5 AM, Saturday morning, April 22: All lanes will open.
SR 104 West Night Detour
Westbound SR 104 will detoured at S. High street (US 23) from 9 p.m. Friday night, April 21 to 5 a.m., Saturday morning, April 22, for bridge beam installation, weather permitting. Westbound traffic will be maintained using the on and off ramps at US 23. Watch signs carefully during this work. (ODOT)
S. Belle Street Closure
S. Belle Street is closed to through traffic between W. Chapel and W Town streets for construction of a parking facility. Access to COSI parking remains available from Belle Street; watch for lane restrictions in this area. Motorists may wish to consider McDowell Street as an alternate for through traffic. The restrictions are expected to remain in place through about November 2017, weather permitting. (COSI)
Closure: Second Street Immediately South of Fulton Street
Beginning at 5 a.m., Monday, Feb. 13, Second Street will close immediately south of Fulton Street so crews can complete installation of a storm sewer.
Access to the parking lot at Second Street will be maintained via Ludlow Street or Liberty Street.
NOTE: Fulton Street will remain open.
Completion: mid-April, weather permitting
On the map: https://goo.gl/maps/vcr7c4zhqRA2
SR 315 Closure at Home Road
SR 315 will be closed to through traffic between Hyatts Road and Home Road for culvert replacement beginning at 9 a.m., Monday, April 10, weather permitting. The detour is Hyatts Road east to US 23 south to Home Road west back to SR 315 or the reverse. Expected Completion: April 21st at 3 p.m. (ODOT)
Mid-Day I-71 Restrictions Near Orient
Southbound I-71 will be reduced to one lane at Harrisburg-Georgesville Road on Wednesday, March 9, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for median brush removal, weather permitting. (ODOT)
OSU Campus Construction
OSU Campus Construction
Paving the Way will provide updates on the largest on campus projects at OSU. For information on smaller projects, see the links below.
Summit Street Protected Bike Lanes Information
Columbus’ first ever protected bike lanes are in place on Summit Street between East Hudson Street and East 11th Avenue. Please click on the image below for more information on navigating on and near the lanes. (Columbus)
Holidays Affect City of Columbus Parking Meters
The hours of enforcement at parking meters owned by the city of Columbus are not in effect on the following Holidays
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Motorists may park free-of-charge at the meters on these holidays. However, parking restrictions signage at some parking meters will be enforced, including but not limited to:
- Morning and evening rush hour parking restrictions
- Valet zones
- Taxi zones
- Loading zones
- Handicapped-only zones
- Residential parking permit zones
- Parking meters that are bagged for construction or special events
Motorists are advised to read the parking restrictions signage posted at the curb and parking restrictions stickers attached to the parking meters before leaving their vehicle parked in a parking restricted zone.
For more information about Columbus parking, see www.columbus.gov/parking/
Is a closure or road-work restriction you want information about not listed here? We work with more than 20 different Central Ohio agencies and municipalities to gather information on road-construction projects. If you know of a closure, flagging operation or other significant restriction missing from this site, please let us know. We will work to confirm it and share information about it here.
Agencies and individuals are enouraged to send us road-constuction updates via our web email.
View Archived Projects